There is always a festival, celebration or fair going on in Calgary. And, of course, this is the home of the largest outdoor show on earth – The Calgary Stampede. And during Stampede week, there are enough festivities to spread throughout the year, with pancake breakfasts, the carnival rides, the parade and the rodeo itself. While Calgary can trace its roots and is proud of its cowboy and ranching heritage, Calgary also has more varied and eclectic events like the Sun and Salsa Festival, the Lilac Festival and the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo. I’ve listed some of my favourites here but if you want your event listed please contact me and I’ll add it in.
- The Calgary Boat & Sportsmen’s Show – Boats, fishing and hunting. – Visit sportshows.ca.
- Calgary’s Home Expo – Everything for the home – Visit homexpo.ca.
- High Performance Rodeo – Theatre, Dance, Music, and more. – Visit hprodeo.ca.
- Annual Enbridge playRites Festival of New Canadian Plays – Visit atplive.com.
- One-Act Play Festival – Theatre. – Visit pumphousetheatre.ca.
- The Calgary Underground Film Festival – Film, and more film. – Visit calgaryundergroundfilm.org.
- Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo – Everything for the home – Visit homexpo.ca.
- Fourth Street Lilac Festival – Live music, street merchants and food vendors – Call 229-0902.
- Calgary International Childrens’ Festival – Children’s events, plays, exhibits, and clowns – Visit calgarychildfest.org.
- Scotiabank Calgary Marathon – Run or Cheer – Visit calgarychildfest.org.
- FunnyFest, Calgary Comedy Festival – 16 nights of comedy – Visit funnyfest.com.
- Spruce Meadows National – Equestrian horse jumping – Visit sprucemeadows.com.
- Calgary Jazz Festival – Music – Visit calgaryjazz.com.
- Calgary Exhibition and Stampede – Almost anything and everything – Visit calgarystampede.com.
- Calgary Folk Music Festival – Music – Visit calgaryfolkfest.com.
- Kensington Sun & Salsa Festival – Salsas and Street Vendors – Visit visitkensington.com.
- Calgary Fringe Festival – Theatre, street performers, musicians and stage events – Visit calgaryfringe.ca.
- Taste of Calgary – Sample Calgary’s culinary delight – Visit tasteofcalgary.com.
- GlobalFest – Multi-Cultural celebration – Visit globalfest.ca.
- Calgary International Film Festival – More film that you can digest – Visit calgaryfilm.com.
- BBQ on the Bow – Who can resist? – Visit bbqonthebow.com.
- Rocky Mountain Wine & Food Festival – Wine and Food – Visit rockymountainwine.com.
- Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival – Not in Calgary but worth the drive – Visit banffcentre.ca/mountainfestival
- Calgary Zoo Lights – Great for the family – Visit calgaryzoo.org