2 Months Before Move
- Get estimates for movers or for moving truck rentals.
- Eliminate or sell items that are no longer used by holding a garage sale or donating to local charities.
- If you have children, start the process of transferring your children’s records to the new school.
- Start a file to keep all of your moving expenses as your move may be tax deducible.
- Hire a moving company (if applicable).
1 Months Before Move
- Arrange utility service disconnect at old residence and connect at new residence.
- Purchase packing material like tape, tape gun, boxes, packing fill (paper or bubble wrap).
- Fill out a change of address and mail forwarding form at your local post office.
- Separate important documents, items and records that you’d like to keep handy (i.e. passports, jewelry, etc).
- Start Packing.
2 Weeks Before Move
- Discontinue or change regular home services like magazine and newspaper subscriptions.
- Start to use foodstuffs to reduce the need to pack them.
- Confirm reservation with moving company.
1 Week Before Move
- Call credit card companies, banks, insurance providers, subscription companies to change your address.
1 Day Before Move
- Finish packing.
- Dismantle beds and other large pieces of furniture
- Put aside critical items like checkbooks, a flashlight, tools, toiletries, keys, paper plates, cups, towels, travel alarm, Asprin, first aid kit and games for kids. Also, start packing a suitcase with clothing and other personal items.
- Take note of utility meter readings.
- Be at the house to answer any questions if you are being professionally moved.
Sell Your Home With Miranda Moser Now!